Why do I love smoothies so much? They make a great breakfast or snack anytime and you can make them ahead of time. It is an excellent way to ease your body into the day.
This healthy smoothie – packed with kale leaves, spinach, celery, ginger and fresh lemon. I actually used homemade chicken bone broth as the liquid. Bone broth helps to nourish your gut, reduce inflammation and promote healthy gut integrity. It is rich in minerals that support the immune system.
It is easy and cheap to make your chicken bone broth at home. Click Here to find out how to do it.
I steamed the kale and spinach leaves before using them in my smoothie. I did this for the following reasons:
- Raw kale has natural chemicals in it called goitrogens which can affect your thyroid function, you have to steam kale to reduce the goitrogen levels.
- Raw Spinach is rich in calcium but it’s high level of a compound called oxalic acid binds calcium and reduce its absorption. Steaming the spinach will release some of the calcium bound to oxalic acid.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I recommend using organic vegetables, they often have more antioxidants and contain fewer pesticides.
- A handful of organic kale, steamed for 10 minutes
- A handful of organic spinach, steamed for 10 minutes
- 1 stalk organic celery
- ½ organic unwaxed lemon
- ¼ organic ginger
- ¼ litre homemade chicken bone broth (click Here to see how to make your chicken bone broth)
- Steam the kale and spinach ahead of time for about 10 minutes.
- Put all the ingredients including the kale and spinach in a high-speed blender and blend till a fluid consistency is reached and serve immediately.